The Special Register of Historic Trademarks of National Interest has been set up by MISE
The Italian Ministry of Economic Development (MISE) has communicated on its website that from 16/04/2020, through the portal https://servizionline.uibm.gov.it, a national production company of excellence, historically connected to the italian territory, can present the application of registration of its trademark in the special register of historical trademarks of national interest, pursuant to articles 11b and 185 bis of the Intellectual Property Code (CPI).
What is a historic brand of national interest? Who are the recipients?
According to the art. 11 ter of the CPI, it is a trademark used by a micro, small or medium-sized company, historically connected to Italy, to market products or services made by it, provided that it:
- has been registered for at least 50 years and renewed continuously over time;
- if not registered, it has been used effectively and continuously for at least 50 years.
The only person authorized to submit the trademark registration application is the owner of the trademark, the licensee (with the consent of the former) or their representative, authorized pursuant to art. 201 of the IP Code (a registered lawyer or a IP consultant).
What are the deadlines for examining the application? What is the duration of the registration?
Following the submission of the application, the UIBM verifies the aforementioned conditions in a maximum time of 60 days, for registered trademark, or 180 days, for an unregistered trademark.
If the application is accepted, the historic trademark will have an unlimited duration, without the need for periodic renewal by the owner/licensee.
What does the trademark consist of and how can it be used? What are the commercial advantages?
If the application is accepted, the company will be able to add the logo created by MISE with the Decree of 10/01/2020 (the image of this article) to its own brand and use it for commercial and promotional purposes, only for the products for which it is registration was requested.
The ultimate aim is to enhance the brand of companies that, for over 50 years, have been operating successfully in their respective production sectors and are historically connected to our country, as well as to obtain commercial advantages thanks to a logo that refers to excellence and prestige of Italian products.
Our Law Firm, thanks to the team of professionals specialized in IP Law:
- provides interested companies with all information regarding the requirements and methods of submitting the registration application, evaluating, in advance, the existence of the conditions necessary for its acceptance;
- assists its customers in preparing the necessary documentation and sending it through the UIBM website;
- manages the task until its successful conclusion;
- provides legal advice and assistance on the development and commercial exploitation of the company’s historic trademark.
Contact us immediately at +39 3711453121 or by e-mail at email@example.com, to register your historic trademark of national interest!